I give you ... aftermath:
- It won't be 2009 Valencia for the America's Cup. Okay, it'll probably still be Valencia, but it won't be 2009. As with everything else in this ethics-entropic world of ours, it seems defender Alinghi (Swiss. They don't even have waterfront. How they won the Cup two times in a row...) may have been doctoring the protocols to benefit themselves next time around. Funny, I always thought the Swiss were neutral.
- Or, you could just shake your head and mutter, "Yachties." I know I do.
- I was friends with a "property steward" (at least that's what she called herself) back when I was nosing around the theater job world after college. Her job was to maintain and repair props on the sets of Broadway shows. As with all the other jobs that people don't know about, it is her job to make sure that people don't think about her and what she does. These multimillion dollar big stupid talking-animal extravanganza musicals would never go on without her. And all the rest of the stagehands whose job it is to not let you know that they're there.
- The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees is striking the bullying owners and producers. As with any other labor action, the idea is to cause a hardship for the people who control the money, thereby forcing them to come to the table and negotiate. So, doesn't it defeat the purpose when the courts intervene and tell the crew of one show that they have to work because they can't do a Christmas-themed show after Christmas so they have to go back to work to make the producers' money back now?
- IATSE is the only show biz union I am truly qualified to join. (All right, Equity.) I've hung rigging and run lights, built and run scenery, designed and run sound. I know what those jobs take on a part-time volunteer and semi-professional schedule, and whatever IATSE is asking isn't enough.
- I hope you aren't shopping on Black Friday, or "Buy Nothing Day." Or if you are, I hope you weren't captured on DufusCam for any of the horrid local news bits about the diseased capitalism people find so cute. This is the problem with compartmentalizing. If you only do something one day a year, then it's weird and mawkish and then what do you do for the rest of the year? It's like World Diabetes Day which was last week. Or Fall River Celebrates America. Which may never happen again. Then, when will Fall River celebrate America? Huh? When?
- But if you are shopping, do yourself a favor and buy some art.
- I'll be lavishing my Beloved with special attention today. It's her birthday and I know that I celebrate every day her having been born. And every day I'm with her is reason enough to celebrate.