- Coast Guard Captain Terry Bragg said he had never heard a story like the one of Vietnamese immigrant Richard Van Pham, who spent four months on his little boat. Maybe that's the brave sailor that "John Aches" was talking about.
- Wanna get your name in the paper? Take part in saving the Fourth Amendment? Be a part of a movement that will be derided as a meaningless exercise that everyone will think is crazy, especially in wartime"? Sign here. It says that you think people who break the law are criminals, even if they're wiretapping without a warrant.
- Dennis Kucinich keeps suggesting that we should impeach W because of various high crimes and misdemeanors he keeps going on and on about. I was thinking we should impeach him for saying catty snot-nosed remarks to the G8 summit like "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter."
- Taking a page -- quite literally -- out of Bitterandrew's Armagideon Time, I was reminded of my young capitalist days. Of course, Naomi Klein has since smartened me up -- but good! -- and now I'm a former global profiteer with no logo watching the bear market drag the Chicago School down with it.
- But, back at Boy Millionaire school, one of the visiting lecturers (you don't think they actually hired a staff, do you?) said that one should start (or steal) a way to provide a product or service that people MUST have, like housing or medical care. But, don't expend any of your own capital providing it. Always keep your employees living from paycheck to paycheck so that they'll fear layoffs, and thus won't talk about unions. In fact, if you can complicate the corporate structure in such a way that you only receive shgareholders' or taxpayers' money without providing any product or service, then you win. "Bully for you!" War on Greed would like to point out the fine work of Bruce Wasserstein:
Now, let's get that 6 minutes out of our heads, and cool off with NOAA at the North Pole, where perfectly seasonal melting pools are making their completely expected, cyclical reappearance. Go ahead and click on the picture and you'll see the reported weather conditions in the upper left. It's 1.5° C, 34.7° F. Freezing. Nearly. And, you know it gets like this every year. Because it's Summer! If you visit the NOAA website, they go into great detail about how this happens every year. NOAA is the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, and has no connection to this week's reports of Dick Cheney's "censorship" of climatic condition information. Mmmm. Nice and cool.