- There's a certain crew who used to constantly go on and on about what they termed the "elitist habit of political correctness." So, why are they suddenly so sensitive about investigating the background of a vice-presidential candidate's lack of qualifications or mentioning her sloppy personal life? Getting mighty political correct over on that barquey, say what.
- You want to talk hope? Join the ranks who think they'll have a great future by electing mean-spirited, vulgar, and ill-informed liars to public office. There's a "hopefulness" there that just can't be reasoned away.
- "People were coming into my office, phone calls were flooding in, e-mails were coming in, 'I just sent money to Obama, I couldn't sleep last night' — from the left. To see this cocky wacko up there," Chafee said to laughter. Lincoln Chafee, about the cocky wacko who's given rednecks and pitbulls a bad name.
- Gallery X has a veterans' art show for the next week, featuring art from New Bedford's Veteran's Transition House.
- I perceive supercolliders and climbing Mt Everest in the same way. My Eighteenth Century brain says "Good for them, experimentation and challenge can benefit everyone by leading to discovery and understanding." The Twenty-First Century brain says, "Why are you wasting resources while so many people are poor, sick, homeless, jobless?"
- Summer's not over in New Bedford until the Dancing Dogs play over by the fountain in Custom House Square. Noon, Thursday.
- Culture War? Huh. And I always thought that was just the tension between me and the idiots who didn't know what I was talking about.
- Some religious sects want to destroy "demons" that "possess" our world through banning music and books.
- We all know that little kid who ties a towel around his neck and pretends to be a superhero, saving the world.
- Same thing.
- And I suppose we should embrace The Redneckification. If they promise me that Wanda Jackson will be Queen, I could get used to mojitos in cans.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Tendered by PJ at 6:38 AM