- I was surprised to see that no comments appeared after last week's Soles'n'Bowls meander around Rock Street's Ruskinian Gothic past. Either it's set too far back for Fall Riverites -- who need much flashier curb appeal these days -- or I wasn't very clear: Lizzie's old church is on the block again. I had been there during the first parking lot scare. When I first became confused by The Beach and its ways. (I'd love to hear if anyone has any thoughts about those bright halcyon days. Click on the "Hailing" one below. Faye, Scout, Lefty? I know you were yakking about this. I have "historical perspective.")
- Oh, and while we're misremembering the past -- and since I'm apparently the only one who ever talks about it -- I was also involved with Fall River's Tall Ship™ Bounty, and I can answer one local radio station wag that NO, "they" DID NOT "sink it," if by "they" you mean the crew. So shut your stupid.
- Although most of you shipmates know me as an elitist -- possibly derivative trading- -- cat-fancier, I harbor no ill-will toward dogs.
- My childhood was a happy one, surrounded by the Wiis of my generation: pools, tennis courts, and loving, drooling, shedding, property-damaging, crapping canines.
- I do not begrudge my father's desire to enhance his landed station by owning AKC-compatible breeds to provide grounding guidance and I eventually learned all the right lessons about responsibility, maintenance, self-acquittal, boasting, plea-bargaining, and heart-breaking loss.
- So I think that some mutt or other is a fine idea for the Obamas.
- My father had floated the idea of a Portuguese Water Dog, but I'm sure that I would have balked at the popular propensity for poodlizing the thing. So it was dachshunds, sheepdogs, retrievers, and the neighbors' Great Danes, collies, shepards, beagles, Newfies, and Saint Bernards.
- Please understand that I appreciate the Portuguese Water Dog. In fact, I am sometimes considered one: Portuguese + water + dog = Your Third Mate.
- A Cão de agua Português, according to the American Kennel Club, is an exceptional swimmer and diver, the breed retrieved broken nets, dove for fish, carried messages between boats and to shore, and guarded the boat for his master in foreign ports. Yep. Number Three, four legs.
- Which is why I like the idea of The New Guy and his family allowing one to inhabit our White House. Were I leader of the free world, I would have bird-dogged a more nativist pup name like an AMERICAN Staffordshire Terrier or AMERICAN Foxhound or Chesapeake Bay Retriever or -- keeping it at least on this continent -- a Labrador or Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever or Newfoundland or AMERICAN Eskimo Dog or Alaskan Malamute.
- As long as the last two don't insinuate any ugly election memories.
- So, maybe the Portuguese Water Dog is the right choice, as long as they don't get talked into giving it a goofy shave job like this:
Friday, February 27, 2009
Tendered by PJ at 5:49 AM